Do you need some help? Stuck on which course to do or have a technical issue?

(1) Try our FAQs below, or go to our articles page (lots of interesting reading!), or go to the Forum.

(2) Or, send us an email:

(3) Or, give us a call: +64 7 866 5623 (New Zealand number)

Which Countries Do You Provide Training For?


Right Now, we are focused on helping people in New Zealand learn everything they can about drones.

Who are You? Can I Trust DroneTrust?


The people behind DroneTrust have professional aviation backgrounds- either as Air Force or Commercial pilots. This means you are getting the best of the best in content and we are closely monitored by the regulator. We are also one fo the only Part 141 training organisations that offer this kind of training (for the non-aviation folk, this is a very big deal!).  So, yes, you can trust us. Read more here: 

What type of courses do you offer?


There are two options to complete drone pilot certificate via a self-paced online theory course.

All courses include a one on one practical flight assessment with a RPAS flight examiner.

Recreational. This online course is suitable for the recreational drone pilot or for commercial activities conducted within the limitations of the Civil Aviation Part 101 Rule.

Privileges:        Operations within 4km of an aerodrome in accordance with Part 101.

Qualification:   Upon successful completion of the course you will have a RPAS Pilot Certificate to Part 101 standard.

Professional. This course incorporates the Recreational course content which is bundled together with additional material to form the Professional course. It extends your knowledge to the higher standard at Part 102 level. It is suitable to for pilots who are using a drone in a professional capacity or their clients require a high standard of qualification.  This course is a requirement for pilots who are operating for a Part 102 unmanned air operator certificate holder (see more on this below)

Privileges:          Operations within 4km of an aerodrome in accordance with Part 101 rules.

Allows the pilot to work for a Part 102 unmanned air operator certificate

Qualification:   Upon successful completion of the course you will have a RPAS Pilot Certificate to Part 102 standard.

Does this course and certificate meet the requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority?


Yes,  this course conducted for Drone Trust by our partner company, Flight Test NZ, a CAA certified Part 141 aviation training organisation. TR52489 .

When can I start the course?


As soon as you have registered and purchased the course on line it is available.

You will have a certain amount of time to complete the course before it expires.

How long does the course take?


This varies between individuals, we estimate 4 to 6 hours for a recreational theory course and then 7 to 10 hours for a professional theory course. Having some prior familiarity with the concepts will speed these figures up.

How long is the practical flight test?


Allow 1 hour for the practical test, which includes an onsite verbal exam.

Approximately 20 minutes of flying is required, doing a series of exercises. You can use your own drone. 

What type of drone is required for the flight test?


The CAA requires that you conduct the test using the drone that you plan to be flying under your approvals.

As CAA requires significant parts of the test to be conducted in atti mode (if your drone is fitted with this), your drone must be capable of operating in this mode.

Some drones (e.g. DJI  Spark or early Mavics) cannot be manually selected into atti mode and are not suitable for the atti-mode components of the flight test. An alternative means of compliance will be required to complete these aspects of the flight test (i.e. using another drone).

Where is the practical test conducted?


We have examiners based in Auckland, Tauranga, Napier/ Hastings, Wellington and Christchurch.

What happens if I don’t want to register with the regulator?


Soon, most countries will require you to register with the regulator to be allowed to fly your drone (even recreationally). Without doing this, you will be breaking the law. If you are a minor (under 18 years of age), you still must comply. There are lots of similarities with learning to drive a car- you need to register your training/test and then you need to register your vehicle too.

How safe are the Drone Trust servers?


We run the advanced encryption standard (AES, 256-bit) on HTTPS servers. Our staff have all been security vetted, and many have held government security classifications, so we respect and protect your data and your privacy.

If I have a safety incident, will this be made public?

No. You can choose to track your safety incidents internally, or you can choose to notify the regulator and insurer. Even if you choose to notify the regulator and insurer, your data will never be made public, and there is no risk of you being identifiable. Declaring your safety incidents to the regulator and insurer will help make the industry safer and insurance premiums lower.

What happens if I already have aviation qualifications?


If you already have your aviation qualifications, please email or call us to discuss. In most cases if you have your qualifications, you will be exempt from some of the Professional RPAS Pilot course requirements, however we strongly recommend you complete the online theory as you must still pass the exam. 

What is a UAOC?


An Unmanned Aircraft Operator Certificate is the approval from the regulator for your organisation to conduct commercial operations under Part 102. Our articles page has some more detailed information, including how Drone Trust can assist you by writing the documentation (click here).